NeemaWe are heartbroken to share the news that eight-year-old Masai giraffe, Neema, passed away overnight in the giraffe barn. Neema began showing signs of illness on May 14. The entire hoofed stock team and our veterinary staff began an immediate intensive course of medical care to identify and treat her symptoms. The group discovered that she was suffering from intestinal disease and was treated to relieve pain and resolve infection while maintaining her hydration with intravenous fluids. Unfortunately, last night, her condition became worse and she passed away around 9 p.m. from the short, but aggressive illness.

Neema was a beloved part of the ten-member herd and a regular attendee at the popular giraffe feedings that so many of our guests and Members have enjoyed over the years. Her light coloring made her easy to identify, and her participation in giraffe feedings made her especially memorable and loved.

Neema was also a terrific mother to our most recently born calf, Kamili, who was born August 2014.

We are all grieving and devastated by the loss of Neema. She remains a treasured member of our family and she will be missed by everyone.

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Houston Zoo Saddened by Passing of Beloved Giraffe, Neema”

1. Andrea says:

I was also heartbroken when I heard the news. Just awful. Love to Miles and Kamili, and the rest of the family (including their humans).

2. Tara C says:

Sorry for the houston zoo’s loss. Our daughter’s first visit to the zoo we were blessed to meet Neema and feed her. Such a beautiful animal. Peace be with the herd and the team.

3. vernell jessie says:

Always so moved to hear of the lost of an animal at the Zoo..
    So much to celebrate and now this….Holding the staff close to
    my heart and the heart of my children and grands…..

4. vernell jessie says:

Always so moved by the loss of any creature at the Zoo..
    So much to celebrate and In the midst….this…
    Holding staff close on behalf of myself and my grandchildren….

5. marie ivory says:

Sorry for the loss of one of my favorite animals .I think I feed been a two weeks ago

6. T. Powell says:

Giraffes are some our family’s favorite animals and feeding Neema and the others has always been a special experience. Our hearts are very heavy right now and we send our condolences to the entire Houston Zoo family.

7. Jessica Laas says:

Deeply saddened by the loss of Neema. I know her death is effecting all of your employees. This is a sad day.

8. Pat says:

I’m so sad to learn about Neema. I know that everyone involved gave her the best care possible. My deepest sympathy to all.

9. Shannon says:

Im so sad to hear of the passing of Neema. I am a zoo member and my daughters and I are regular visitors to the zoo and have fed Neema lettuce on numerous occasions. It breaks my heart to heart this news.

10. Tanya says:

Very sad news, I often watch the live camera feed online from San Antonio. I would always smile when she kissed Kamilli. She would always sway back & forth at the feeding area. Thoughts and prayers to those who cared for Neema & her babies.

11. Zejnep says:

I was so saddened to learn of lovely Neema’s passing. She was still young. How is her little one doing? My thoughts and prayers are with her herd mates, her calf and her keepers.